Streep Says She Does not Have to Apologize If She Doesn,t Want To. Robert Massimi.

Meryl Streep Says Dustin Hoffman Slap In ‘Kramer Vs. Kramer’ Was “Overstepping”

Robert M Massimi.
Big League Leftie Meryl Streep says that she does not have to apologize about the sex scandal, even though she knew what was going on with Weinstein. the fact that she covered this up and then gets indignant about it when asked about it shows how little she cares about her fellow women actors and her public. Let, s face it, she is in the rarefied atmosphere when it comes to salary, popularity and privilege.   She does not to answer to anyone and she won,t, it,s just like that, take it or leave it.
Most Hollywood types in her shoes feel the same way, that they are above it all. They tell you one thing, but certainly do another. They push there leftie causes and it,s do as I say not as I do. Her answer to sexual harassment is to wear black to the Oscars. Brilliant!  That should really make a statement, Meryl.

In the wake of sexual harassment allegations facing Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep has opened up about an incident while they were shooting the Academy Award-winning 1979 film Kramer vs. Kramer when Hoffman actually slapped Streep during a scene.

In an interview with the New York Times, Streep said that when you are an actor, it’s tricky when it comes to shooting scenes because “you have to feel free.”  She adds, “I’m sure that I have inadvertently hurt people in physical scenes. But there’s a certain amount of forgiveness in that.”

On her first day on the set of Kramer vs. Kramer, Streep shot a physical scene with Hoffman. And on the first take, he slapped her. “And you see it in the movie,” she said. “It was overstepping.”

She continues, “But I think those things are being corrected in this moment. And they’re not politically corrected; they’re fixed. They will be fixed, because people won’t accept it anymore. So that’s a good thing.”

The interview included Streep’s thoughts on the current sexual harassment allegations that have been plaguing Hollywood as of late. Considering she worked with Harvey Weinstein on numerous projects, scrutinizing eyes were on The Post actress when the NYT story broke about Weinstein’s accusations. She recalls that when she found out she said she “went home deep into my own life.” She then saw that people were demanding she respond on Morning Joe.

She said, “I really had to think. Because it really underlined my own sense of cluelessness, and also how evil, deeply evil, and duplicitous, a person he was, yet such a champion of really great work.

“You make movies. You think you know everything about everybody. So much gossip. You don’t know anything. People are so inscrutable on a certain level. And it’s a shock. Some of my favorite people have been brought down by this, and he’s not one of them.”

Many people say that she was being complicit and Streep insisted that she really didn’t know about Weinstein. She’s heard the rumors, but “thought that that was a way of denigrating the actress and her ability to get the job” — which she said “really raised my hackles.”

“I didn’t know that he was in any way abusing people,” she added. “He never asked me to a hotel room. I don’t know how his life was conducted without people intimately knowing about it.”

But when it comes down to it, Streep doesn’t want to hear about her silence. “I want to hear about the silence of Melania Trump. I want to hear from her. She has so much that’s valuable to say,” she said. “And so does Ivanka. I want her to speak now.”

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

JavaScript is required to load the comments.

Loading comments…

161 Comments

Comments On Deadline Hollywood are monitored. So don’t go off topic, don’t impersonate anyone, and don’t get your facts wrong.

Enter your comment here…

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Name

Website

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Notify me of new comments via email.

Comments navigation

1. EKRon Jan 3, 2018 7:32 pm

Team Streep!! Glad she spoke up.

• on Jan 3, 2018 9:10 pm

What did she say? It was a ramble that ended in some open loop presupposition about a Trumps daughter & wife. It was very creepy weird.

• on Jan 3, 2018 9:29 pm

I agree

• on Jan 3, 2018 11:11 pm

Very weird

• J • 5 hours ago

Agreed. She seems to want to take the focus off of the ‘ills’ of Hollywood (and her own tacit participation). For a “smart and seasoned” actor she comes off in this instance as disingenuous. Maybe, we give her more credit than she deserves. And, why bring up the Dustin Hoffman slap now?!? If she’s such a SJW then why wait so long to champion this trauma?

• molly • 4 hours ago

Based on her calling Weinstein a god and her standing ovation for Polanski, it looks like Hoffman’s “preemptive” slap was well deserved.

• • 3 hours ago

Yes it certainly was. Perhaps she is becoming senile.

• • 1 hour ago

Agree

• williampennon Jan 3, 2018 9:21 pm

After 30 years. After countless women were harmed by her silence.

• Scotton Jan 3, 2018 9:21 pm

Let me know when people hold her accountable for harboring Harvey’s activity for decades.

• Harold Smith • 7 hours ago

Trumps wife isn’t queen of the industry that is #2 in rape next to politics. Keep on lying, Demonrats. America is taking note of every vile syllable

• • 6 hours ago

Team Lunatic is more like it. This woman is a disgrace. She covered for Weinstein and from her comments here, would appear to be going after Hoffman to give herself cover.

• janice kraczon • 4 hours ago

She is a very weird woman. She makes no sense.

2. on Jan 3, 2018 8:26 pm

I don’t know. This felt odd. I was fairly with her until she threw Ivanka under the bus. I’m no right-winger. I voted for Clinton and am as liberal as it gets but asking a daughter to speak against her father? That just feels creepy like Streep’s trying to push focus away to whatever it’ll stick to.

• Fredon Jan 3, 2018 9:12 pm

Extremely odd. Why would she mention something that happened in 1979 and then want to hear from Melania and Ivanka?

• Gerryon Jan 3, 2018 9:58 pm

All actors are professional liars by trade, its what they do. Part of the big lie is to deflect attention from themselves when questions hit close to home. She didn’t know about Weinsteins behavior , HA, give me a break!! The comment about Melania and Ivanka was an attempt To deflect. Meryl is a sneaky old woman.

• on Jan 3, 2018 10:08 pm

Because that’s what libs do…they divert from the real problem which Streep was involved in and then pass the blame to others. Sick!!!!

• Ter milton Jan 3, 2018 10:14 pm

Maybe because she is a disingenuous hypocrite.

• on Jan 3, 2018 10:25 pm

Because that’s what pot stirrers and bandwagon jumpers do.

• Liz Rod • 8 hours ago

Exactly

• Thomas • 8 hours ago

Because Streep enjoys being the center of attention too much. She’s run out of meaningful or newsworthy things to say about … anything. So now she’s reaching back to trivia from 1979, scraping the barrel of her memories for anything that might get her an extra few seconds of attention.

• • 5 hours ago

I feel that she wants them to speak out against President Trump’s as she thinks he also has made passes at women. She is wishing they will throw him under the bus.

• • 5 hours ago

Meryl Streep is using her celebrity status for her political stance, she needs to just keep playing “make believe” and get off the soap box, while her inflated salary is insane, firefighters, our armed forces, police, nurses, etc deserve the salary she earns for being real everyday!

• Joe Loftus • 4 hours ago

I believe Meryl allowed the depths of her derangement, to gather oxygen, when she admitted being a ‘morning joe devotee !

• • 4 hours ago

Why? Because she actually did know about Weinstein of course. She stated that there were “so many rumors” and that it was a way of denigrating young actresses. She’s trying to hide behind ignorance at the same time saying she might have known. Then to gather support, she changes the topic to something she hopes will divert attention away from here. It’s a classic publicity agent move

• • 4 hours ago

This me too movement is gotten out of hand. When these accusers were nobodies ,no pay why didn’t they speak up? NO THEY TAKE MONEY TO HAVE SEX SCENES ,TAKE MONEY TO GLAMORIZE WHO THEY ARE and now ruin peoples lives 20 years later….I’ve lost respect for actresses like merl Streep and others who can’t shut up now and didn’t do something about their issue before and have no problem separating families and making people lose their job. FORGIVE and get over ir

• Andy • 2 hours ago

I would laugh if ivanka released a statement that said “I’ve been silent long enough. I too believe it was overstepping for Dustin Hoffman to slap Meryl Streep in Kramer vs. Kramer”

• • 2 hours ago

Don’t take the bait. You’re getting sidetracked from the real issue. I myself have remembered issues from the past that I am now seeing were so wrong and degrading. Streep is saying, “speak up, who ever you are…famous or not…now is the time to come together for all who have been abused or mistreated.”

• ANGEon Jan 3, 2018 11:05 pm

Yeah, Meryl, I want to hear Hillary speak up against Bill, too.

• Harold Smith • 7 hours ago

So her support for child rapists is totally OK in your book.

• Candy • 5 hours ago

Still can’t come to grips with her own complicity so she is projecting, deflecting onto a popularly chosen scapegoat. Classic defense mechanism.

3. on Jan 3, 2018 9:20 pm

Loser. Nice to shit on the only good scene.

4. Scotton Jan 3, 2018 9:23 pm

Aaand she somehow turned it into a classless political comment about the Trumps. The left really is deranged.

5. D Hauszmannon Jan 3, 2018 9:30 pm

When are these pompous stuffed blow hards going to stop lecturing everyone? “I’m an actor so I know I’m right, after all I’ve been on stage and can mimic like a parrot” Streep is so full of herself.

6. Maddyon Jan 3, 2018 9:33 pm

Was it a slap….or was it a beeyotch slap?

7. on Jan 3, 2018 9:33 pm

Weird. She is hurting her reputation badly with this deflection. Only partisan weirdos expect Chelsea/Ivanka to speak against their husbands.

8. StubbornlyRationalon Jan 3, 2018 9:34 pm

Streep’s elitist hypocrisy is totally exposed. Either she’s an abject moron or a despicable liar.

9. on Jan 3, 2018 9:39 pm

She’s senile.

10. on Jan 3, 2018 9:39 pm

Silly Streep screeching senseless squabble.

11. Gerryon Jan 3, 2018 9:44 pm

She didn’t know about Weinstein, HA, give me a break…she is just another Hollywood fruitcake and liar.

12. F. Ketchumon Jan 3, 2018 9:45 pm

Ha! Pass the buck. Did I Know?
    Well of Course I.. I.. I want to hear about Trump! Ya, that’s it, Trump!
    You knew lady. You knew..

13. on Jan 3, 2018 9:49 pm

Deflection.

14. Scotton Jan 3, 2018 9:59 pm

Typical of everyone these days. “Forget what I did. What about….”. Trump has played gold 50 days in his first year. Well yeah but Obama’s played 51. Harvey Weinstein and I were tight but Melania is married to Trump.

Take responsibility for YOUR actions.

15. on Jan 3, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh, now she says it was ‘overstepping.’ I guess it wasn’t overstepping while the movie was a huge success and earned her her first Academy Award.

16. mcloweon Jan 3, 2018 10:07 pm

Bugger off, chick! I guess we all have to go back 50 years now and analyze every one of our actions. Gimme a break.

17. Enough is enoughon Jan 3, 2018 10:12 pm

She’s getting called out for her complicit and hypocritical behavior – not just for Weinstein but also Polanski and Woody Allen. She’s lied and since it’s not going away, she trying to distract. What a pathetic human.

18. on Jan 3, 2018 10:19 pm

Oh Ms. Streep, I have friends that have worked with you, you are belligerent and nasty. You, Lord yourself over Everyone else. So, in my mind, You Are Emotinally Damiging

19. Chris Chichesteron Jan 3, 2018 10:19 pm

Thirty-eight years later Meryl Streep denounces an alleged slap from Dustin Hoffman? What a joke.

I will explain to you the length of time that has passed, Meryl. Thirty-eight years. I must write that language I upper case for your big brain to process: THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS.

You, Meryl, are a complete embarrassment. But you have now empowered yourself, however fraudulently, to scream: Me Too.

Chris Chichester
    Proprietor: Excelsior Page
    Penfield, New York

20. Elton Johnsonon Jan 3, 2018 10:20 pm

I’ve really come to dislike Meryl Streep…She has revealed herself to be a phony snob and nothing more than a political hack.

21. on Jan 3, 2018 10:22 pm

Meryl Streep: Hollywood hypocrite

22. Joni man galton Jan 3, 2018 10:27 pm

You- who – Meryl it’s over. You knew. About Harvey and Polanski. The rapes continued. You played the grande dame of Hollywood, but, you were the grande madame of the Hollywood brothel. Even the ones that say they support you – see an lying enabler while they smile at you. There were Nazi Generals that said that they toured concentration camps and had “no idea” what was going on. You knew.
    How perceptive do you really need to be to size up Harvey?
    Hell Polanski admits his rape of a young teen. You stood! You clapped! You condone.

23. Richardon Jan 3, 2018 10:29 pm

Every time this creep opens her mouth she shows how utterly clueless she is. She is complicit in the Hollywood sex scandals – she knew and did nothing.

24. bob wireon Jan 3, 2018 10:29 pm

She Knew!

25. OldEnuf2Noon Jan 3, 2018 10:37 pm

She is beginning to remind me of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

Comments navigation

Author: nobullwithragingrobert

Was a drama critic at Manhattan College. Wrote professionally for Bergen News, Sun Bulletin . Alpha Sigma Lambda, Beta Theta. Has seen over 600 shows worldwide, has published both on Theater and Politics. Avid reader on many subjects and writers. Chief Drama critic for Metropolitan magazine. Writes for Jerrick media, American conservative, The City Journal and Reason magazine. Has produced shows both on and off Broadway.